Brew Date: 01-24-2019
Adjuncts: 5g Roasted Caraway, 1/2 tsp Roasted Coriander Vodka Tincture, last week of fermentation
Calc OG: 1.049 BE: 70% DP: 123 SRM: 7 IBUs: 26 TGW: 2.0 lbs.
Yeast: Belle Saison
• Tap Water Profile (ppm): Ca=4 Mg=2 Na=69 Cl=11 SO4=15 CaCO3=128 HCO3=153
• Target Water Profile (ppm): Ca=87 Mg=10 Na=46 Cl=97 SO4=94
• Steps to Achieve Target Water Profile:
- Add 1 gal distilled water for total 3.0 gal (33% dilution to lower Na level to 46)
- Add 1.0g CaSO4, 2.1g CaCl2, 1.0g MgSO4 [brewing liquor additions]
- Add 0.3g Ca(OH)2 [mash tun addition]
- Acid Addition: None
• Target Mash pH = 5.5, Actual Mash pH = 5.4, Post-Fermentation pH = 4.3
Bring 2.5 qt brewing liquor to 165F (water : grist ratio = 1.25 qt : 1 lb). Mash grains for 60 min at 152F. Bring 1.5 gal sparge water to 170F. Sparge grain, accumulating 1.75 gal in boil kettle. Bring to boil. Add 3g magnum, boil for 50 min. Add 4g Tettnang and flocculant, boil 10 min. Turn off heat. Chill pot to 67F. Rack wort to secondary pot with 2 drops Fermcap-S. Rack wort to carboy. Aerate.
Hydrometer reading (Original Gravity) = 1.054
Pitch yeast. Fit air-lock.
Fermenter is at 69F and started bubbling within a few hours--still strong at 24 hrs. Bubbling has slowed after 36 hrs. After 72 hours raise the carboy temp 1 degree every 24 hours until carboy is 72F, then remove from the fermentation chamber. Prepare Vodka Tincture of Crushed Roasted Caraway and Coriander seeds. Allow 1 more week fermentation. Add Vodka Tincture to carboy. Allow fermentation to continue 1 more week.
After 3 weeks fermentation, rack to bottling pot.
Hydrometer reading (Final Gravity) = 1.004 ABV = (1.054 - 1.004) x 131.25 = 6.5%
Add priming sugar: 23g Sucrose. Filled 9 - 12oz bottles. Allow 2 weeks, then refrigerate.
Notes: Excellent, nicely balanced spiciness from the rye, herbs, and hops