Brew Date: 09-13-2018
Calc OG: 1.036 BE: 75% DP: 107 SRM: 8 IBUs: 21 TGW: 1.3 lbs.
Yeast: Safale US-05
• Tap Water Profile (ppm): Ca=4 Mg=2 Na=69 Cl=11 SO4=15 CaCO3=128 HCO3=153
• Target Water Profile (ppm): Ca=81 Mg=10 Na=41 Cl=103 SO4=105
• Steps to Achieve Target Water Profile:
- Add 1 gal distilled water for total 2.5 gal (40% dilution to lower Na level to 41)
- Add 1.0g CaSO4, 1.9g CaCl2, 0.9g MgSO4
- Acid Addition: None
• Target Mash pH = 5.5, Actual Mash pH = 5.4, Post-Fermentation pH = 4.3
Bring 1.5 gal water to 152F. Mash grains for 75 min. Bring 0.5 gal sparge water to 152F. Sparge grain bag for 15 min. Add sparge wort to boil kettle. Bring to boil. Add 4g Willamette, boil for 40 min. Add 4g Fuggle, boil for 10 min. Add flocculant, boil for 10 min. Turn off heat. Chill pot to 62F. Rack wort to secondary pot with 2 drops Fermcap-S. Rack wort to carboy. Aerate.
Hydrometer reading (Original Gravity) = 1.038
Pitch yeast. Fit air-lock.
Fermenter is at 64F and started bubbling within a few hours--still strong at 24 hrs. Bubbling has slowed after 36 hrs. After 72 hours raise the carboy temp 2 degrees every 24 hours until carboy is 70F, then remove from the fermentation chamber and raise to 72F. Allow fermentation to continue 2 more weeks.
After 3 weeks fermentation, rack to bottling pot.
Hydrometer reading (Final Gravity) = 1.006 ABV = (1.038 - 1.006) x 131.25 = 4.2%
Add priming sugar: 24g Sucrose. Filled 9 - 12oz bottles. Allow 2 weeks, then refrigerate.
Excellent. Easy drinking.